I just enjoyed the latest episode of Radiolab, The Bad Show, and I thought I’d give Jad and Robert a little morality talking-to.
Not that they need it of course, being swell fellas, but during the episode they come to a bit of an impasse when it comes to weighing Fritz Haber‘s legacy.
I just watched the Tim Minchin song that ITV refused to air. His little rant that accompanies the video is a good one: fair, strong, opinionated, personal.
One line stuck out:
…the small minority of Brits who believe they have a right to go through life protected from anything that challenges them in any [...]
(A good friend, with whom I’ve had some intense discussions about religion, sent me a link to this NYTimes article about atheist morality, along with the note asking me what I thought. Here’s what I think.)
Thanks for the heads up on this. I frequent The Stone column—one of the only arenas in the [...]
Over at the NYTimes, Greg Walton and Carol Dweck wrote an op-ed about their work on willpower. Give it a read, fer sure.
Don’t expect a blustery response from me: I don’t know the details of their research.
I can’t resist a few interpretive points, however. The article begins:
Is willpower an illusion? Is [...]
In a recent Wall Street Journal Raymond Tallis reviews two books, Who’s in Charge? by Gazzaniga and Incomplete Nature by Deacon. I haven’t read the books so I won’t comment on them, but the review is frankly embarrassing, another fear-of-science knee-jerk of the kind we all hoped had been left behind in the previous century but unfortunately still [...]
It’s been a fun week to be a free-will-is-a-myth nerd.
Suddenly everyone’s weighing in on determinism. Massimo, Sean, Jerry, and now PZ.
As I mentioned previously, often [...]
Yes, #ManCardRevoked is trending on twitter. Yippee.
I took a look while eating my lunch. Here’s what I found.
First of all, I’m coming at it from the angle best summarized by this tweet:
You don’t draw your self-worth from an adherence to arbitrary rules of living defined by advertisers and television shows? #ManCardRevoked
If you follow this blog, you will notice that Massimo and I do not agree on various points. I will continue to voice my opinion—dat’s what da [...]
Björn Brembs really really wants to believe in contra-causal free will. So much so that he sees those of us who don’t as being akin to deluded theists. At least I think that’s what he’s implying with his post title What Does Determinism Have In Common With Gods, The Flying Spaghetti Monster And Pink, [...]
(This is vaguely a response to this icky creepy bubble ad which starts
normal and then goes all “toxins” and then is just creepy.)
I mean, like, what’s in stuff? No, what’s in stuff really?
I just grabbed my bottle of Swad Onion Chutney and what the… what is [...]
Tagsanimals art atheism blink books chopra citizen science comfort dawkins death deja vu delusion determinism dualism emotion exoplanets experts fallacy gender humanism human rights iprc knowledge love medicine morality naturalism nerd nyc nytimes philosophy phil plait portland reason responsibility rosenberg science skepticism spirituality spock thought experiment video welcome why? williamson
- Hey @krelnik have you checked out this beta for a BS detector? bsdetector.kupietz.com #skeptic #webtools — 2 days ago
- Well, the cops cane quickly, diffused the situation professionally, and now we're on our way. #didntseethatcoming — 3 days ago
- The cops have apparently been called — 3 days ago
- Everyone's yelling. #busdrama — 3 days ago
- On bus. Person w cane won't sit down. They seem unstable enough that driver refuses to drive until they sit. Complete standstill, standoff. — 3 days ago
- Hello Squidocto #11It is so so difficult to get things...
- Hello Squidocto #10…but were afraid to ask. from Skeptical...
- Hello Squidocto #9: Feynman’s Teeth Murray Gell-Mann talks...
- Hello Squidocto #8 — IGDIGNANT Hear the whole podcast...
- Third-person Effect. Hear the whole Skeptical Connections...
- Segment: Resisting Evidence. Hear the whole episode at Skeptical...
- Hello Squidocto segment #5: Backfire, Tone, and Time —hear...
- Hear the whole Skeptical Connections episode here.
- Hello Squidocto #3, Consciousness Consensus? Hear the whole...
- “Hello Squidocto” #2 My Conspiracy Theory...